Before I start, I want to share you this song:
Brave Enough is a song by Lindsey Stirling featuring Christina Perri and was released in 2016. This song speaks to me in different ways as it reflects on my fears when it comes to having strong affections towards someone. The chorus ‘I wish I was brave enough to love you‘ stands out to me as it talks about being able to be fully honest with yourself and what you’re feeling is real.
I want to ask you something: What is falling in love? What is being in love?
The media tends to see this as this endless affection towards your significant other. This idea of finding ‘the one’ and doing cheesy romantic gestures every single day.
I think that’s total garbage.
Don’t get me wrong, it does paint a nice picture on what the idea of love is, but it seems inaccurate and sometimes, it just gives high expectations when it comes to having this special affection for someone.
So what is love?
Love is more than just feelings and having strong affection towards someone. It’s even more than words and sometimes actions. Love is a spectrum on how you feel towards someone. It lies more in honesty and trust, and relying on that gut feeling of yours that what you have is real.
To me, I see love as the following:
- A strong feeling in your chest where you know you’ll do whatever it takes to make the other person and/or yourself happy.
- A special kind of source of happiness where no matter what the other person does, they make you laugh and smile.
- It’s like an indicator that tells you that you now trust this person and yourself with everything. That you’re willing accept your past and it helped become the person you are today.
- It’s when you show all sides of you and that you’re no longer lying about yourself and everything about you.
- It is more than just saying ‘I love you’. It’s more than just kissing. It’s more than just the special cheesy gestures.
Love is being brave.
Being brave means to know something is scary, difficult, and dangerous, and doing it anyway, because the possibility of winning the fight is worth the chance of losing it. – Emilie Autumn
It is a strength that lies in your emotions and actions and reminds you that there is a person out there worth fighting for. You’re willing to risk everything for them, whether it is yourself, someone who lives nearby or who lives in the other side of the planet. If you are willing to be brave enough for them, that is love.
Some say love is weakness, I call it a strength.
A strength to be brave about yourself and how you feel in the end of the day.