January 22nd marks National Chocolate Cake Day – what a time to be alive!
In our opinion, every day should be a day for celebrating chocolate cake as it is one of the most delicious cakes in existence. There’s never a bad day for some chocolate cake, however, today it is particularly acceptable to eat it all day long.
To celebrate National Chocolate Cake Day, here’s a recipe so you can make (and devour) one for yourself!
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 cups sugar
- ¾ cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1½ teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon espresso powder
- 1 cup milk
- ½ cup vegetable or canola oil
- 2 eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 cup boiling water
- Preheat oven to 350º F. Prepare two 9-inch cake pans by spraying with baking spray or buttering and lightly flouring.
- Add flour, sugar, cocoa, baking powder, baking soda, salt and espresso powder to a large bowl or the bowl of a stand mixer. Whisk through to combine or, using your paddle attachment, stir through flour mixture until combined well.
- Add milk, vegetable oil, eggs, and vanilla to flour mixture and mix together on medium speed until well combined. Reduce speed and carefully add boiling water to the cake batter. Beat on high speed for about 1 minute to add air to the batter.
- Distribute cake batter evenly between the two prepared cake pans. Bake for 30-35 minutes, until a toothpick or cake tester inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Remove from the oven and allow to cool for about 10 minutes, remove from the pan and cool completely.
Then, there’s the best part – decorating your chocolate cake! We suggest covering it with chocolate buttercream frosting. If you’re feeling extravagant, go all out with some chocolate bars, nuts, marshmallows – whatever takes your fancy!
If you want to enjoy the day in a slightly healthier manner, you could try the beetroot alternative (which is much nicer than it sounds) and decorate with some fruit.