We’re five days from the launch of Pokemon Ultra Sun and Ultra Moon, so it’s time we have a roundup of pre-release information. Comment below and tweet us @Fuzzable with whether you’re picking Ultra Sun, Ultra Moon, or both!
Collect Totem Stickers
Trial Captains have hidden Totem Stickers all around the Alola Region. Collect these stickers and trade them with Samson Oak for Totem-sized Pokemon, including the Totem Pokemon from both Sun and Moon and Ultra Sun and Ultra Moon.
Meet the Ultra Recon Squad
Hailing from Ultra Megalopolis, a city within Ultra Space, the Ultra Recon Squad has come to Alola after the legendary Necrozma stole their light. With Team Skull and the Aether Foundation already wreaking havoc in Alola, how will their introduction change the dynamic between good and evil?
Encounter New Pokemon Unseen in Sun and Moon
The Ultra Recon Squad has brought with them UB Adhesive, a brand new Poison-type Pokemon/Ultra Beast. In addition to UB Adhesive, two other new Ultra Beasts have taken the stage: UB Burst (Fire/Ghost-type) and UB Assembly (Rock/Steel-type). While not Ultra Beasts, two other new forms make their debuts in these games. Dusk Form Lycanroc will evolve from a special Rockruff given out via Nintendo Network around the launch of Ultra Sun and Ultra Moon. Finally, a special Pikachu wearing Ash’s hat from Pokemon The Movie: I Choose You will be available via QR codes given at the screenings of the new movie.
The same Pokemon that stole the light from Ultra Megalopolis has appeared in Alola, now seeking out either Solgaleo or Lunala depending on your version. Acting as a parasite, Necrozma attaches itself to the mascot legends, becoming either Dusk Mane Necrozma or Dawn Wings Necrozma, respectively. Both new forms have access to Photon Geyser, a new Psychic-type attack that uses Necrozma’s higher stat, whether it be Attack or Special Attack.
Utilize New Z-Moves
Five Z-Moves have been revealed pre-launch, and they all look promising for their respective users.
- Clangorous Soulblaze – upgrades Kommo-o’s Clanging Scales with the Kommonium Z. The attack hits hard and raises each of Kommo-o’s stats by one stage.
- Splintered Stormshards – upgrades Stone Edge on any Lycanroc Forme with the Lycanium Z. This Z-Move removes any Terrain effects active at the time of use.
- Let’s Snuggle Forever – upgrades Mimikyu’s Play Rough with the Mimikium Z. No additional effects are currently known.
- Searing Sunraze Smash – upgrades Solgaleo or Dusk Mane Necrozma’s Sunsteel Strike with the Solganium Z. This attack ignores the opponent’s ability.
- Menacing Moonraze Maelstrom – upgrades Lunala and Dawn Wings Necrozma’s Moongeist Beam using the Lunalium Z. This attack ignores the opponent’s ability.
Meet Team Rainbow Rocket
Giovanni arrives in Alola with Mewtwo under his control. Having sieged Aether Paradise and Festival Plaza, Giovanni has successfully begun to revive the notorious Team Rocket. To aid him he has gathered the worst of the worst – his ranks include the likes of Team Magma’s Maxie, Team Aqua’s Archie, Team Galactic’s Cyrus, Team Plasma’s Ghetsis, Team Flare’s Lysandre, and Aether Foundation’s Faba. It’s up to you, Lillie, Sophocles, and Guzma to bring down Team Rocket’s reincarnation.
Travel Through Legendary Wormholes
Ultra Sun and Ultra Moon allow the player to ride Solgaleo and Lunala into Ultra Space. Various portals lie within, and some include legendary Pokemon from previous generations. Some are stuck behind version exclusivity, but between both versions all legendary Pokemon, bar Mythicals, are obtainable.
Various Other New Features Appear in Alola
- The Alola Photo Club has taken residence in the islands of Alola. Using this service allows the player to take pictures with their Pokemon and customize them with stickers and other cute details.
- Mantine Surf is a new feature that allows the player to surf between the Alolan islands. Earn points by doing tricks and use them to pay Move Tutors for new moves for your Pokemon.
- Rotom comes with some new perks. Akin to O-powers in the Generation V days, Rotom will periodically gift the player certain advantageous powers, including the ability to use more than Z-Move per battle.
- The Battle Agency appears in Festival Plaza. Like the Battle Factory, the Battle Agency allows the player to rent Pokemon and battle through their opponents, earning prizes as they go. Moreover, the more you use Festival Plaza and connect with others, the more Pokemon you’ll be able to choose from!