Custom flip flops aren’t hard to find nowadays. You can buy them at stores and shopping centers near you. You just visit those stores and tell them what designs you like for your flip flops. You’ll be thrilled to see how fast they can do it for you. You wouldn’t even need to wait for 24 hours.
But sometimes, going to the stores in person can be a hassle. You’re lucky if you’re the only one at the store. Most of the time, there are more than 5 people waiting for their turn. If you want to avoid this situation, you can try making your own designs!
Making Customized Flip Flops
Customizing your own flip flops requires a little creativity. It also requires designing materials and glue. You can spend time with friends in making custom flip flops or you can do it with your siblings.
You can customize them to make a fashion statement or to match an outfit for a scheduled date. There are three steps to help you design and customize your flip flops.
First, you need to create a design. Try to experiment. See if the materials would complement the flip flops. Next, implement the design. Wrap the straps with materials like yarns and laces. Lastly, add the embellishments. Use materials that would transform your flip flops from boring to stylish!
Creating The Design
- Buy a new pair of flip flops. They can be of any color as long as they don’t have designs on them.
- Select the design materials for your flip flops. You can choose between a yarn, metallic sequins, ribbons, or embroidery floss to design the straps. If you’re going to use embroidery floss or yarn, make sure to use different colors. If you’re going to use a ribbon, make sure that it features a fine print. Leopard prints or polka dots will do, as long as they would match your outfit. If you’re going to use metallic sequins, make sure that the colors vary.
- Select the embellishments. You can choose between bows, gems, beads, or fake flowers for this. Your choice for this step will be added on top of the straps. Doing this will add a unique style for your flip flops.
- You can experiment with beads and gems to create a colorful pattern for the flip flops. You can also use ribbons and glue them on the straps. Don’t be afraid to unleash your creativity in making designs.
- Don’t forget the glue! To wrap the straps and add the embellishments, you’ll need hot glue. Make sure you have enough hot glue to finish the project. Hot glue requires a glue gun. You may need to turn it on for about 15 minutes. You may also use fabric glue. But remember that it needs to dry overnight.
Wrapping the Flip Flop Straps
- Apply a very small amount of glue at the end of the material you’re going to use. If you’re using yarn, floss, or ribbons, secure the ends with a small amount of glue. On the inside of the strap, place a small-sized amount of glue. Take the end of the material and then press it into the glue. You can use a toothpick if you’re using hot glue to avoid being hurt.
- Wrap the strands around the strap. Repeat this process until you’re able to cover the straps with the material. You can stop whenever you want to switch the colors or whenever you need more glue.
- Apply glue every time you switch colors. To make sure that the material is secure, be sure you place a dab of glue on the inside of the flip flop straps. If you’re using hot glue, dispense the glue and then wrap the material.
- Continue wrapping the straps until you have reached the base. Stop wrapping when you have reached the other side of the flip flop. Be careful when wrapping the straps. Only wrap it once so it won’t appear bulky. Bulky straps can make your feet uncomfortable.
- Secure the ends of the straps with glue. And then, wait until it’s dry, Leave the flip flops for hours until you’re sure that the glue is already dry.
- Repeat steps 1 to 5 for the other strap.
Adding The Embellishments
- Apply a pea-sized amount of glue on the strap where you want the embellishment to be. The size of the glue should depend on the size or the embellishment. For example, if you plan to use metallic sequins, then only apply a small amount.
- Press the embellishments to the glue and let it dry. Be careful when you do this, especially when using hot glue. Gently push the material into the glue and hold it for a minute. Doing this will help you ensure that it sticks. Repeat this until you’re able to cover the entire strap. Apply these steps on each of the straps of your flip flops.
- This is optional but you can add a fake flower or a bow in the area where the two straps meet. Doing this can add a little cuteness on your flip flops. You can apply a little amount of glue on that area and make sure the bow or flower sticks.
- Let it dry overnight. Once you’re done designing the straps, let the glue dry overnight and check the results in the morning. If you want to be sure that the materials stick, then let it dry for 24 hours. You’ll be sure that the glue is completely dry before you wear the flip flops.
There are a lot of decent online stores that specialize on custom flip flops. You can just pick the design you want and then wait for them to arrive at your doorstep. But it’s more fulfilling when you wear the flip-flops that you designed personally. It brings pride knowing that you’ve transformed a pair of plain flip flops into fancy, stylish flip flops!