With Christmas just around the corner, there is nothing better than getting together with friends and family to cook some tasty treats, like these Granola topped Mince Pies.
Christmas is not quite the same without the fresh, out oven, warm mince pies to enjoy after that home-cooked Christmas dinner with a cup of tea. Granola being more versatile than you think, this recipe makes a delicious dessert bound to make your mouth water.
These mince pies are not only easy to make, but fun to make with the whole family.
Makes: 18 mince pies
- 225g cold butter, diced
- 350g plain flour
- 100g golden caster sugar
- 280g mincemeat
- Lizi’s Original Granola for topping
- Icing sugar, to dust
- To make the pastry, rub 225g cold, diced butter into 350g plain flour, then mix in 100g golden caster sugar and a pinch of salt. Combine the pastry into a ball – don’t add liquid – and knead it briefly. The dough will be fairly firm, like shortbread dough.
- Preheat the oven to 200C/gas 6/fan 180C. Line 18 holes of two 12-hole patty tins, by pressing small walnut-sized balls of pastry into each hole. Spoon 280g mincemeat into the pies.
- Roll out the pastry for the lids and use a star cutter, big enough to reach the edges. Top the pies with their lids. You don’t have to use a star cutter, you can use any shape you desire.
- Bake for 20 minutes until golden. Leave to cool in the tin for 5 minutes, then remove to a wire rack. To serve, lightly dust with icing sugar. They will keep for 3 to 4 days in an airtight container.
Lizi’s Granola Range is available from Waitrose, Sainsbury’s, Tesco, Asda, Whole Foods, Co-op, Booths and all good health stores.
What do you like to cook at Christmas? Let us know in the comments below or over on @Fuzzable!