Summer. When you hear the word ‘Summer’, what is the first thing that comes to your mind? Sun? Water? Sand? Holiday? Fun? Yes? Good for you, then. When I hear the word summer, I think about heat, sweaty bodies and air conditioning.Yes… I hate summer.You can call me weird, you can call me dumb or insane but it certainly won’t change the fact that I dislike it.
On the other hand, I am still here, I am still alive which means I’ve already survived 18 (almost 19) summers. And you know what always helps? The answer is easy. Two of my favorite things – ice and coffee. If you are feeling extremely hot right now or just want to try something new, here are three of my favorite recipes to help you survive the heat. Because why not. You only live once.
Cold-Brewed Iced Coffee
- ⅓ cup ground coffee (medium-coarse grind is best)
- Milk (optional)
- In a jar, stir together coffee and 1 1/2cups cold water. Cover and let rest at roomtemperature overnight or 12 hours
- Strain twice through a coffee filter, a fine-mesh sieve or a sieve lined with cheesecloth. In a tall glass filled with ice, mix equal parts coffee concentrate and water, or to taste. If desired, add milk.
Iced Matcha Green Tea Latte
- 1 teaspoon matcha green tea powder
- 1 cup milk
- 1-2 teaspoons agave or honey (more to taste)
- In a glass jar, mix the matcha green tea powder with a little bit of water – just enough to form a paste. Stir it up until there are no clumps.
- Add the milk and and agave. Cover with a tight-fitting lid and shake vigorously until incorporated. Let sit for a minute so any remaining clumps settle to the bottom. Carefully pour into a glass with ice and enjoy!
Iced Vanilla Latte
- 2 ½ tbsp (1 ¼ oz) Vanilla Syrup
- 1 cup (8oz) milk
- 2 shots espresso*, chilled
- whipped cream (optional)
Combine chilled espresso*, milk and syrup in a tall glass filled with ice and stir well.
*Can substitute 1/2 cup strong brewed coffee